Apparently I'm NOT a dramaturg!

A few months ago, I posted a message announcing a new stage in my writing career as a dramaturg. It seems I misunderstood the invitation to the Indiana Theatre Works conference, and assumed I was a dramaturg because I wrote a play.

This misunderstanding was grounded in the fact that I'm a complete idiot when it comes to the theatre (pronounched "thea-tah"). But thanks to fellow radio theater playwright Henry Howard, the record has been set straight.

I am NOT a dramaturg. I am a playwright.

I'm still not clear on what a dramaturg is, although after reading the definition at http://www.dramaturgy.net/dramaturgy/What.html, I'm almost convinced it's thea-tah talk for "the person in charge." It almost seems like a movie producer, but I could be wrong.

I am NOT a dramaturg. I am an idiot about the theatre.

That's why I had to rename my play too. Apparently "Into the Woods" was taken by this Stephen Sondheim fellow, whoever HE is! So I'm hoping the new title, "Cabin Fever U." has not been taken. I know there's a lifelong learning academy called Cabin Fever University, but as far as I can tell, not a play.

I sent out a couple copies of the script yesterday to Ball State University (my alma mater) and Northern Illinois University (one of the members of their play reading committee called me in the capacity of my day job and we got to talking and I *happened* to mention that I was a playwright. . .).

So with any luck, "Cabin Fever U." will be produced within the coming year. I hope. In the meantime, I'll be learning more and more about the theatre, so I don't commit any new faux pas, as well as writing my new play. I'm going to call it Arsenic and Old Lace. I'm sure it will be a hit.