Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Place Names That Make Me Giggle

My very first humor column ever was a 1,200 word complaint about the fact that I lived on Birdie Court, and had to endure the derisive snorts of my Guy friends, who would ask if I lived near KittyCat Lane. (No, I lived on a golf course, so I lived near Putter Place, Dogleg Drive, and Eagle Court. Manly, rough-and-tough Eagle Court.)

But that's nothing compared to the poor folks who live in Intercourse, Pennsylvania, Big Bone Lick, Indiana, or Penistone, England (pronounced, pennis-tun. Or so they say.)

I have written about towns with funny names in the past, but a recent article in the New York Times showed me there are way more funny cities, towns, and streets than I had ever heard of.

A further Internet search also introduced me to great towns like Crapstone, England; Humptulips, Washington; Issue, Maryland; Bucksnort, Tennessee, and of course, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base; Big Bone Lick State Park (just outside Union, Kentucky); and Flush, Kansas.

Or my personal favorite, Hell, Michigan.

Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.


  1. Yeah, who said Hell never froze over has never been there. While I didn't run into Satan in Hell, my friend and I had a devilishly good time visiting -- sorry that's a groaner, I know.

  2. Don't forget Gnaw Bone, IN (outside of Nashville, IN) and Stone Head, IN (which actually has a stone head and is also outside Nashville).


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam. Spammers aren't likely to register. There's been some Chinese spammer who keeps leaving spam comments under different names, and I'm hoping this will deter him. Jerk.

Other spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.