Saturday, July 04, 2009

Write Your Own Artist's Vision Statement

Write your own artist's statement

I'm a big fan of the arts, especially in my hometown, Indianapolis. And whenever I go to see different art shows and exhibits, I always take the time to read the artist's statement. I know some artists struggle with writing their artist's vision statement, so here is a helpful template to help any artist come up with one they can use at their coming shows.

My name is __________ (my real name / a nom de guerre / something I saw on a label in an Asian food market), and I __________ (am an emerging artist / am an artist with many a year's journey / found a brush and a can of paint last week). I ___________ (create / give birth to / slop together) my art in order to ___________ (engage / inspire / cause vomiting in) the __________ (observer / community / homeless guy outside my studio). The underlying theme of my life's work has been inspired by __________ (the light of our souls / man's inhumanity to man / come on, does anyone really say 'man's inhumanity to man' anymore?).

I ____________ (paint / sculpt / draw / pile crap on top of other crap) for __________(clients / art aficionados / soulless yuppies who buy art to show off their status) so they can __________ (admire and appreciate it / consider their place in the universe / give me a shitload of money). In return, I use my __________ (artist's vision / soul's eye / ability to run a good scam) to __________ (find the beauty in the world / tell the world's stories / get a shitload of money from stupid yuppies). As a __________ (traditional artist / mixed-media artist / bullshit artist), I seek my inspiration by (watching the world around me / listening to the voice of God within my soul / going through the homeless guy's duffel bag when he's passed out).

I believe people have __________ (a spark of genius / a streak of creativity / a startling willingness to buy anything) that can be harnessed to let the world __________ (hear our creative voice / share our stories / give me a shitload of money).

In the future, my goal is to __________ (explore a new theme of global issues / experiment with different media / see if I can find some schmuck to buy a canvas made with newspaper, heavy-duty polyurethane, and the homeless guy's toenail clippings). As you admire these works, be sure to open your __________ (mind to the world's voice / heart to a new experience / wallet).

Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.


  1. I sense a smidgeon of sarcasm. Oh, by the way, can you introduce my wife to some of these yuppie friends of yours, so we can go on vacation next year?

  2. Not sarcasm, at least not toward artists. Rather, on behalf of them.


Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam. Spammers aren't likely to register. There's been some Chinese spammer who keeps leaving spam comments under different names, and I'm hoping this will deter him. Jerk.

Other spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.