Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Woman Thrown Out of Starbucks Because She Wouldn't Use Their Terminology

I knew Starbucks was a band of corporate drones bent on world domination, but to get the police involved because someone won't use their teminology?

A woman was thrown out of a New York Starbucks by police because she wouldn't use the Starbucks termninology when ordering a bagel.

According to the NY blog, the Gothamist, Lynne Rosenthal, a college professor, was nearly arrested after she took a noble stand against the corporate tyranny that is Starbucks. I've always refused to order a "grande" anything, preferring instead to ask for the more commonly known "medium."

But Rosenthal trumped my civil disobedience by making a stand over a bagel! (Good on ya, Lynne!)

The barista asked if she wanted butter or cheese, and Lynne said calmly yelled, "I want my multigrain bagel!"

The barista, incredibly, said she wasn't going to get anything, unless she said, "without butter or cheese."

Lynne told the New York Post, "Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English."

Since she wouldn't bow to Starbuck's corporate-speak, the manager called the police, and they threatened to arrest her if she wouldn't leave.

Lynne may have felt humiliated by being asked to leave, but she has taken a larger stand that many of us can appreciate and applaud. Thank you, Lynne.

---
Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.

14 comments:

  1. I've worked at a Starbucks, and I can assure you that some people need to get tossed out on their butts. I can give you 100% assurance that this wasn't about butter or cheese, but rather an abusive customer who refused to treat the barista with any respect.

    I applaud the store manager for knowing that some customers aren't worth having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could Starbucks baristas be the Soup Nazis of this generation?

    Way to go, Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Do you want butter or cheese"
    "I want a bagel"
    "I know ma'am, but do you want butter or cheese on it?"
    "I WANT MY MULTIGRAIN BAGEL"

    I can see how this went. She probably deserved to be tossed. Having been to many a Starbucks in my life, and ordered hundreds of bagels, I've never had any issues from any barista's when I've answered "no, thank you". This sounds more like a publicity stunt by the woman than evil corporate policy from Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate say that Grande , Whipped , Latte .
    Gimme a Fricken Coffee .. Large

    ReplyDelete
  5. How ironic you are blogging about an incident involving correct language use when the title of your blog is incorrect. The term is "Laughing Stock" as in an unending source of material to make fun of another.

    As to Starbucks, they are clueless idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Joe and Josh. I suspect she was an abusive customer. Isn't it good customer service to follow up with options? It doesn't appear this is about making her say "grande" instead of "medium."

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MzHartz

    That definitely appears to be the case, especially given the end of the original story from the Post:

    A Starbucks employee who witnessed the incident blamed Rosenthal.

    "She would not answer. It was a reasonable question," the worker said.

    "She called [the barista] an a- -hole."

    An NYPD spokesman confirmed that officers were called to the coffee shop but said he was unaware of anyone being tossed out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever happened to patience and treating everyone with respect? If you walk into and establishment that prides itself on serving you the way you want, then you should EXPECT a few questions about what you want.
    CSRs are not mindreaders.
    The public is so wrapped up in them being right that it has created this entitlement monster. If you don't want the question asked of you, then LEAVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. “I'll have a vanilla... one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got.” Larry David

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can anyone explain to me how it can be ordered any differently than a "Bagel"? Just give the biggest coffee you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have gone for their cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually @Loosers Suck (or did you mean Losers?), Stalk is intentionally misspelled. I live in Indiana, which is known for its corn, which is grown -- wait for it -- on a stalk.

    When this column originally only appeared in weekly newspapers in rural Indiana, the title made sense. I've kept it this way for the last 16 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like she doesn't know how to answer a simple question, which leads me to question her civility, and perhaps her intelligence. What point was she trying to prove, exactly? In almost any restaurant you go to the server will ask you two to five questions about how you want your food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ol u outta there!!!
    All said and done,it's all about
    language semantics true to the fact
    that the King's or is it Queen's diction
    is at its 'murdered'stake.
    BobRobyns UGANDA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam. Spammers aren't likely to register. There's been some Chinese spammer who keeps leaving spam comments under different names, and I'm hoping this will deter him. Jerk.

Other spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.