I'm Sitting in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Media Center


Right now –– right this very moment —– 3:10 p.m. on Thursday, May 6th, I'm sitting in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's Media Center. (That's Ed Carpenter of Vision Racing in the photo.)

I was invited by Tim Sullivan, one of the PR staff at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, to be a media blogger for this blog. It's their first year to invite bloggers, and Tim actually knew my name because I'm a humor columnist for the Greenfield Daily Reporter. (He also found me on Google, thanks in part to blog posts by my good friends Kyle Lacy and Lorraine Ball.

I went to the Speedway's credentialing office (they take this shit seriously here. It's not just some folding table with a couple of elderly volunteers handing out passes. They've got a huge office, lots of desks, and three cameras to take photos of credentialed guests and media.)

Needless to say, I'm seriously geeking out here. Not because I'm a race fan, but because I'm an Indy 500 fan. I'm like the guy who only goes to church on Easter and Christmas.

I'm going to leave most of the race reporting –– all the stats and speeds and talk of engines –– to the race writers. I'm going to try to go behind the scenes and find stories that you don't normally see unless you're here, or a die-hard fan. I'll talk about atmosphere, sightings, history, and things that generally strike my fancy.

Keep your eyes peeled. Subscribe to the RSS feed for this blog. Follow me on Twitter (@edeckers). Keep a Firefox tab open on this page. Just keep watching this blog, because over the next 17 days, this blog is going to be about the Indy 500 AND humor. I don't know if I can keep up the workload, so wish me luck.

And if you have any questions you want me to answer in a future post. Send me a Tweet or leave a comment here, and I'll see what I can do.

---
Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.