Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dinnertime at the Zoo

Dinnertime at the Zoo
Erik Deckers
Laughing Stalk Syndicate
Copyright 2008

Panda Polly: There you are. Hurry and get ready, our dinner guests will be here any minute.

Panda Paul: Oh jeez, is that tonight? I forgot all about it. I had to work late tonight. The zoo had some VIP visitors, and Steve the zoo keeper needed me to stay after.

Polly: Why didn't you call?

Paul: I couldn't. We were out in the exhibit, and I couldn't get away. Didn't Steve tell you I was going to be late?

Polly: Obviously not, or else I would have known.

Paul: Who's coming?

Polly: The Bears, the Gazelles, and the Chimps.

Paul: Oh man, not the Chimps. Did you forget the last time, they ended up flinging their. . . poo around the house?

Polly: That's because you and Chester drank too much and argued about politics. I nearly flung some at you myself. So tonight, you lay off the beer and keep a civil tongue in your head.

Paul: What about him? I swear, if he starts spouting Rush Limbaugh, I'm going to--

Polly: There they are. Now behave yourself.

Benita Bear: Hello, Pandas! Are we early?

Polly: No, you're right on time. And there's the Gazelles right behind you.

Barry and Benita Bear: Hi.

Greg and Gloria Gazelle: Paula, we brought you a bottle of wine from our summer in Napa Valley.

Polly: How lovely. Thank you very much.

Barry (whispers to Paul): I was going to bring you a case of beer, but the little woman stopped me before I even got it to the car.

Paul (whispers back): No biggie. We'll drink it Sunday during the Lions-Bears game. Who do you like?

Barry: You're kidding, right? The Bears, of course.

Gloria: Can I help with anything?

Polly: No, we're all set. Honey, would you ask our guests if they would like something to drink?

Paul: You just did.

Polly: No dear, I mean, why don't you be a good host and ask them?

Paul: We're all standing right here. They can hear you ask me about drinks just as easily as they can hear you be disrespectful to me.

Benita: Oh, my. Uh, I'd like a Cosmopolitan.

Gloria: Can I have some of the wine we brought? I'd love to tell you all about our trip to Napa.

Greg: Ooh yes, darling. I also brought some photos of our Gabby at the all-zoo track meet. She was simply excellent. She left all the other animals in her dust.

Barry: I know. She trash-talked everyone else. Our Betty was so upset, she didn't eat for three days.

Greg: I'm sure she made up for it later.

Barry: Is that a shot at my kid? Not all of us are blessed with your same. . . fragile build, Greg.

Gloria: Careful, Greg, he's salivating.

Paula: Now, now, we're all friends here. Let's not spoil a nice dinner.

Gloria: You're right, Paula. I'm sorry Gabby was so disrespectful, Barry.

Barry: Me too. I just get really defensive about my kids. Benita says I should have been the mother bear.

Paul: So, who's ready for a refill?

Polly: Uh, dear, no one has had anything yet.

Paul: Maybe you haven't, but this is my third.

Polly: Paul, you promised you wouldn't drink.

Paul: No, you promised. I said no such thing.

Polly: Typical. There's a little conflict and you hide inside your bottle. You're as bad as the Ostriches.

Paul: I've had a hard day. We had those stupid VIPs, plus that bus load of school kids.

Barry: Tell me about it. At least no one tries to imitate you. All day long, I get people going "Hey Bear! RAARRR!" It's annoying.

Greg: We get people who make lion noises to get us to run. Hey morons, we can see you from where we're standing. We know it's you.

Paul: And then the news crew showed up to talk about how Polly and I can't have kids.

Polly: You insensitive jerk! Why would you even bring up our personal lives like that?

Paul: The whole freakin' world knows about our sex lives. Ooh, big news flash: the pandas can't get pregnant!

Polly: Well, maybe if you wouldn't spend your nights drunk in front of the TV, we might have better luck!

Paul: And maybe if you took better care of yourself, I wouldn't need to spend every night getting hammered!

Gazelles: Hey, look at the time, we'd better go.

Chimps: Hi all, sorry we're late. Did we miss anything?

Polly: Not at all, the flinging is just getting started. Take that, Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam. Spammers aren't likely to register. There's been some Chinese spammer who keeps leaving spam comments under different names, and I'm hoping this will deter him. Jerk.

Other spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.