Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Real Live RickRoll at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

There was a real live RickRoll with a real live Rick Astley during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.



According to Wikipedia, the Internet's infallible authority on everything, a Rickroll is a practical joke where a person finds a link to something interesting and cool, like the Laughing Stalk blog, but the link actually goes to a Rick Astley video, usually the Never Gonna Give You Up video.

Special thanks to Wil Wheaton for the heads up. And for those who laugh at me for using Blogger, Wil uses Typepad. So nyah! (I don't actually know if that's better or worse for me.)



---
Like this column? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.

4 comments:

  1. It was awesome. The float for the cartoon show, "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" cartoon (I think I got the name right) pulled a RickRoll on the ENTIRE NATION, or at least the whole viewing audience for the parade. I can't think of a practical joke with a bigger payoff. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that was great. I was in the bathroom getting ready at the time when I heard it and yelled out, "Did they just RickRoll the crowd?" My parents looked at me confused, and I had to explain the RickRoll to them. I'm still not sure they got it.

    P.S. I'm on Blogger too, and I see the appeal. I tried Wordpress, but I actually like Blogger better for my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wrote the post while I was at my sister's for Thanksgiving. When I was driving home, I was horrified by the thought: "What if that wasn't an actual video clip, but rather, someone put together a clip to Rickroll anyone who clicked on it." That is, what if it never really happened, and I just got Rickrolled, but then gave it away?

    I was all set to Google it just to make sure it really happened, but the fact that you guys saw it on TV helped me know that it was real.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam. Spammers aren't likely to register. There's been some Chinese spammer who keeps leaving spam comments under different names, and I'm hoping this will deter him. Jerk.

Other spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.