A Blogger's Response to Newspaper Columnist Stu Bykofsky

On July 23rd, Stu Bykofsky, daily columnist for the Philadelphia Daily News, thought he was being funny when he wrote:
I DON'T have a blog. If I did blog, this is what it would be like. (To make it seem like a real blog, I'll include typos and factual errors.)
Haaa-ha, Stu. What a funny guy. You see, Stu thinks that since his words are printed on dead trees, they're somehow more important and credible.

Important and credible, like in August 2007, when he said we needed another 9/11 to bring the country back together. Yep, that's right. Mr. "I'm a real journalist" was advocating for the deaths of thousands more Americans so we could all have some national unity. That's real journalism right there.

His words are printed on dead trees, yet I found them online.

That's sort of like a blog, isn't it?

I guess if I wanted to give Stu "We need another 9/11" Bykofsky a snarky response, I'd say something clever and witty like:
I don't work for a newspaper. If I did work for a newspaper, this is what my day would be like: I would worry about the rapidly declining subscriptions, the ad revenues that have collapsed faster than John Goodman running wind sprints, and whether the next call from my editor is the one where I get laid off.
For those of you aren't familiar with Philadelphia media, the Daily News is the #2 paper in a two paper market, and is the red-headed stepchild of the town's real newspaper, the Philadelphia Inquirer.

That's because the Daily News' parent company declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this year, which meant the smaller, less popular paper was folded into the bigger, better newspaper.

Do you ever wonder if the Daily News feels like Jan Brady, to the Inquirer's Marcia? Prettier, more popular Marcia?

Inquirer, Inquirer, Inquirer!



But what do I know? I'm just a blogger. A securely employed blogger.

---
Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.