Indiana Fever - Connecticut Sun Recap

My family and I had a chance to visit the Indiana Fever as they played the Connecticut Sun at Conseco Fieldhouse on Thursday night, thanks to Julie Graue, VP of Business Operations for the Fever. Here are a few of my thoughts, as I recorded them during the game.

  • I have not seen so many women interested in sports as I have at a Fever game.

  • The Fever draw a smaller crowd than the Pacers, but I'm hearing a whole lot more noise here than I have at a Pacers game.

  • Katie Douglas is a vision in white tonight: white uniform, white bike shorts, white elbow pads that take up half her arm, and white knee socks. All she needs is a veil, and she's ready to get married.

  • These women hurl themselves to the floor with reckless abandon. I don't see this much passion and drive in the MenBA.

  • I'm just digging how Katie Douglas is kicking it old school with her knee high socks. All the other players won't commit, and go with calf highs. Tammy Sutton-Brown chickened out with ankle highs. But Katie is giving some love to the 1980s.

  • I'm going to start calling Tully Bevilaqua "Tenacious B."

  • The crowd has been well-behaved tonight, but they've got no problem letting the refs know they're not happy with a call. And since it's generally so quiet during down times, the refs are actually able to hear them. Given some of their calls, the refs are hearing quite a lot tonight.

  • Tenacious B ended up in the lap of a photographer diving for a ball.

  • The Crawfordsville Prom performed at halftime. They needed more boys performing. They performed the prom scene from my wife's favorite high school musical, Grease. Too bad she was out getting snacks while they performed.

  • According to the Fever TV interviews they do, each player thinks she's the neatest player on the team. But everyone agrees Ebony Hoffman has the messiest locker.

  • Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! They sure love Tenacious B here.

  • The Fever is only ten years old, but they've already got lots of tradition. There's a woman sitting one row up and three seats to the left who, Whenever a Fever player goes to the foul line, shouts "How many shots for Tamika?!" The crowd responds, "TWO!" and she takes her first shot. "How many more shots for Tamika?!" "ONE!"

  • Whoever invented the t-shirt gatling gun should get a Nobel Prize.

  • After the game was over — Fever 67, Sun 53 — the players congratulated each other, like we used to do in Little League. I don't even see the Major League Baseball teams do this. They congratulate each other on their own team, but they don't say a word to the other team. I'm loving the professionalism and team spirit. This is a professional sports team I don't mind my girls looking up to for a positive role model.





  • ---
    Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.