Chrysler Faces Criticism for Full-Page Ads in WSJ, USA Today

Dear Chrysler,

I appreciate the thank you. I really do. But seriously, full-page newspaper ads? Those things aren't cheap. I mean, you put ads in USA Today, Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Washington Post, and Atlanta Journal-Constitution. (And you skipped the Indianapolis Star?! Jerks.)

Think about what you're doing, just for once, please. An ad in the WSJ can cost anywhere from $206,000 to $264,000, while an ad in USA Today can cost between $112,000 and $217,000. Meanwhile, the New York Times charges $194,000 for a full page ad in their business section. And given your track record, I'm guessing you got soaked for the whole $675,000 just for those three.

Not smart, even for you guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if your ad buys hit $750,000, or even $1 million, tops.

Given your complete boneheadedness on the whole "taking three private jets to tell Congress we don't have any money" screwup, this is just the cherry on top of the Bonehead Sundae.

Instead of buying the ads, you could have saved at least 10, if not 15, jobs by NOT thanking us. I'm sure your employees would have appreciated that a whole lot more than I appreciated an ad in six newspapers I never read.

Instead of paying $1 million to place ads in a dying medium, hire Funny Or Die to produce a hilarious video that millions of people would have watched, laughed at, and appreciated.

Or better yet, I'll do it for $10,000 and a free video camera.

---
Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.