Skip to main content

'Baby It's Cold Outside' is Actually a Little Creepy

Baby, It's Cold Outside


When you think about it, "Baby, It's Cold Outside" seems like a date rape song disguised as a Christmas tune.



I really can't stay
(but baby it's cold outside)
I've got to go away
(but baby it's cold outside)

This evening has been
(been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice
(I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)

My mother will start worry
(beautiful, what's your hurry)
My father will be pacing the floor
(listen to the fireplace roar)

So really I'd better scurry
(beautiful, please don't hurry)
but maybe just a half a drink more
(put some records on while I pour)

The neighbors might faint
(baby it's bad out there)
say what's in this drink
(no cabs to be had out there)

I wish I knew how
(your eyes are like starlight now)
to break this spell
(I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)

I ought to say "no, no, no sir"
(mind if I move in closer)
at least i'm gonna say that I tried
(what's the sense in hurtin' my pride)

I really can't stay
(oh baby don't hold out)

Both:baby it's cold out side

I simply must go
(but baby it's cold outside)
the answer is no
(but baby it's cold outside)

Your welcome has been
(how lucky that you dropped in)
so nice and warm
(look out the window at that storm)

My sister will be suspicious
(gosh your lips look delicious)
my brother will be there at the door
(waves upon the tropical shore)

My maiden aunt's mind is vicious
(gosh your lips are delicious)
but maybe just a cigarette more
(never such a blizzard before)

I've gotta get home
(but baby you'd freeze out there)
say lend me a coat
(it's up to your knees out there)

You've really been grand
(I thrill when you touch my hand)
but don't you see?
(how can you do this thing to me?)

There's bound to be talk tomorrow
(think of my lifelong sorrow)
at least there will be plenty implied
(if you got namonia and died)

I really can't stay
(get over that old out)

Both:baby it's cold
baby it's cold outside


---
Like this post? Leave a comment, Digg it, or Stumble it.

Comments

  1. Good grief - it's like a holiday version of Every Breath You Take by The Police! Creepy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, It is not creepy! It was written years ago and was a light romantic little tune. If you try hard enough you can make anything creepy, or sick, or dirty, or subversive even. But why would you?

    Here's info on the song the way it was intended!!

    "Frank Loesser wrote the duet in 1944 and premiered the song with his wife, Lynn Garland. It has become a pop standard with both words and music by Frank Loesser.

    "In 1948, Loesser sold its rights to MGM, which inserted the song into its 1949 motion picture, Neptune's Daughter. The film featured two performances of the song: one by Ricardo Montalbán and Esther Williams and the other by Red Skelton and Betty Garrett. These performances EARNED LOESSER AN ACADEMY AWARD FOR
    BEST ORIGINAL SONG."

    If you keep it in context as it was written, it's a nice song. It came from a more innocent and balanced time and should be viewed in the same way.

    If we start trying to make old songs politically correct or to "clean them up", not only is that copywrite infringement it would just about knock out every song ever written!

    (Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. Can you tell that this is important to me and other songwriters??) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mellodee, it's not a problem. I'm glad you responded, and I'm especially glad to know about the song's history. I know it's not REALLY a date rape song. It's just one of those songs whose meaning (sort of) changed over the years.

    In actuality, it sounds to me like the guy's a little whiny and desperate, and the woman is just playing it coy, but actually likes the guy. But that's just not as funny.

    I appreciate your writing in, and I'm really glad you're reading my stuff. Thank you for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am accepting comments from people with Google accounts to cut down on spam.
Otherwise, spam comments will be deleted with malicious glee.

Popular posts from this blog

AYFKMWTS?! FBI Creates 88 Page Twitter Slang Guide

TFBIHCAEEPTSD.

Did you get that? It's an acronym. Web slang. It's how all the teens and young people are texting with their tweeters and Facer-books on their cellular doodads.

It stands for "The FBI has created an eighty-eight page Twitter slang dictionary."

See, you would have known that if you had the FBI's 88 page Twitter slang dictionary.

Eighty-eight pages! Of slang! AYFKMWTS?! (Are you f***ing kidding me with this s***?! That's actually how they spell it in the guide, asterisks and everything. You know, in case the gun-toting agents who catch mobsters and international terrorists get offended by salty language.)

I didn't even know there were 88 Twitter acronyms, let alone enough acronyms to fill 88 pieces of paper.

The FBI needs to be good at Twitter because they're reading everyone's tweets to see if anyone is planning any illegal activities. Because that's what terrorists do — plan their terroristic activities publicly, as if they were…

Understanding 7 Different Types of Humor

One of my pet peeves is when people say they have a "dry" sense of humor, without actually understanding what it actually means.

"Dry" humor is not just any old type of humor. It's not violent, not off-color, not macabre or dark.

Basically, dry humor is that deadpan style of humor. It's the not-very-funny joke your uncle the cost analysis accountant tells. It's Bob Newhart, Steven Wright, or Jason Bateman in Arrested Development.

It is not, for the love of GOD, people, the Black Knight scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I swear, if anyone says Monty Python is "dry humor" is going to get a smack.

Here are some other types of comedy you may have heard and are just tossing around, willy-nilly.

Farce: Exaggerated comedy. Characters in a farce get themselves in an unlikely or improbable situation that takes a lot of footwork and fast talking to get out of. The play "The Foreigner" is an example of a farce, as are many of the Jeeves &…

What Are They Thinking? The Beloit College Mindset List

Every year at this time, the staff at Beloit College send out their new student Mindset List as a way to make everyone clutch their chest and feel the cold hand of death.

This list was originally created and shared with their faculty each year, so the faculty would understand what some of their own cultural touchstones might mean, or not mean, to the incoming freshmen. They also wanted the freshmen to know it was not cool to refer to '80s music as "Oldies."

This year's incoming Beloit freshmen are typically 18 years old, born in 1999. John F. Kennedy Jr. died that year, as did Stanley Kubrick and Gene Siskel. And so did my hope for a society that sought artistic and intellectual pursuits for the betterment of all humanity. Although it may have actually died when I heard about this year's Emoji Movie.

Before I throw my hands up in despair, here are a few items from the Mindset list for the class of 2021.

They're the last class to be born in the 1900s, and are t…